7.12.2008

A pet?!



Sometimes I enjoy the noisy, crowded places. That's why I choose to spend some spare time in Haven.
Usually everyone ignores me while I write or make some drawings so I haven't noticed a man staring at me since I entered the club.
He reached me and leaned slightly into me to talk over the loud music "Mind if I join?" he asked politely.
I glanced up from my work and shrugged.
He placed himself elegantly upon the armchair, then sighed unperceivablely "So you're a feline" he said with a dull look in his eyes.
I looked at the red haired person wary "Nope. This tail and those ears are artificial" I answered.
He smiled softly "Remove them then".
I shook my head "I can't right now. I've glued them to my skin to look credible".
The man let his smile grow faintly. He shifted a glance over my sketchbook. "And you're an artist, too".
I moved in my chair a little unease "Not really".
He grasped my uncomfortableness. "Am I discomforting you?" he asked in a genteel tone of his deep voice.
I scratched my cheek "I'm not used to be a good mixer".
He stared me for a while "Tough luck " said finally.
I coughed and looked away at the people dancing around because I was finding annoying his insistent glance.
But he was amused by my unease attitude. "Well, let me suggest you to accustom yourself to my presence, Noir". He emphasized this last word with a conspiratorial tone.
I looked back at him with surprise "Sorry?".
He crossed his arms and legs in a more comfortable position. "I'm sure your artificial ears are working properly", he smiled.
I binked frowning "Why should I listen the suggestions of a stranger?"
The man let his smile fade into a slight pout "Oh, my fault. My name is Ul Urqhart" he paused noticing that his name had no effects on me. "I'm your master".
Hearing that absurd words my eyes widened. I was dumbstrucked.
I tried to open my mouth to say something but no words came out.
The man gazed at me almost tenderly. "I've shocked you. I'm sincerely apologetic" he lay with a slight but warm smile.
I shuddered at the enigmatic behaviour of the man. "And why should I believe your words?"
He sighed and nodded "If my words aren't enough trustworthy I can prove it". He reached inside his pocket and produced a scroll tube. After slipping a roll of parchment from the tube, he unfurled a sheet on the table.
I leaned over the table suddenly curious as to what the man might have.
He gazed me straight in the face, intending to catch every single expression on my face.
I studied the portrait on the sheet and the name written on it near the burocratic stuff. "This guy may be a double. You know, same haircut, same eyeglasses...".
Ul Urqhart shaked his head slowly and smiled "Oh no. It's you".
I moved the document away from me, a bit towards him "And what if I say no?".
He rose a finger towards his long red hair, curling distractly a lock around it. "It's simple: you cant".
I glanced the pale and smooth skin of the man and I frowned "Wait... is there something I should know about your nature?" I asked worried.
He looked at me courious "About my nature?" asked softly
I nodded leaning back into the chair. "Are you the kind of person who buy another one to..." I hesitated.
He rised an eyebrow stiring up my words "...to?"
I coughed "Well..." I looked away embarrassed, not sure on how to place the question.
I was able to feel his amused glance on me "Please, go ahead".
I waved my explanation away "Nevermind" I murmured pouting.
The pale man grinned "You will know me quite well, don't worry about that".
I rubbed my face with both hands a little upset and I stared the man "I don't think I'm interested".
He ran his finger down the lock and joined his fingertips in front of him."You have no choice. It's a legal contract" he said seriously.
I crossed my arms "Legal for which place. We are in a free city" I answered.
"It's perfectly legal since you're here. My rights on you can be broken only by another legal contract" he paused "or having my money back" added with a soft smile "and as long as I can argue, you don't belong to anyone else".
I nodded "Right words. I don't belong to anyone".
He slightly shrugged his shoulders "Unfortunately for you, this isn't true anymore". He stood up with a foppish gesture and moved one step closer.
I drew back in the chair and held my breath.
Ul Urqhart stared at me for few seconds with a cryptic glaze before nodding "I will wait one week from now. If you will not be able to prove your freedom from me I will collar you". He didn't wait any answer and stepped to the door leaving the club.
I snorted angrily. "Shit" I hissed under my breath.
Now I need to find a good lawyer. But I finally know my name.